Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Photography 101 - Simple Steps to Improve Today!

When I first started out, I took the worst pictures imaginable. No kidding. It was pathetic. I placed a newborn baby on a red blanket in direct sunlight. That's how bad it was. The only light on the horizon was that I had no illusions and definitely knew I wasn't doing a good job. It took me a while to figure out why my images didn't come out the way I wanted. Why? Because at that point I didn't know a thing about lighting.

If you are at that same point right now as I was back then and are trying to build your portfolio, here are a few suggestions that will instantly improve the pictures you take, whether you are shooting in auto or manual mode. Once you are comfortable  with these "safe" tactics and know how to get the shots you want, branch out and play with the light!
  1. Find an easy Subject. At the beginning and while practicing, it is best to find a subject who is old and patient and willing enough to listen to directions and give you time to get ready for a shot. A child will not stand in the shade until you have figured out your settings and then give you their most natural smile. Kids are difficult to photograph. Why make it harder for yourself? 
  2. Schedule sessions about 70min. before sunset. Not at noon. Never at noon if you can help it. The lighting before sunset is especially flattering and may add a beautiful golden tone to your images.
  3. Get out of the Sun. There are several reasons why I recommend that. Direct sunlight is very harsh and therefore unflattering, because it creates ugly shadows and too much contrast. People squint their eyes in direct sunlight as well, which usually isn't attractive.
  4. Find Shade. And when I say that, I mean complete shade. Look at your subject's face. Is it equally lit or do you see a shadow pattern from a tree? You want it to be equally lit. Sometimes moving your subject a step forward is all that it takes.
  5. Watch the Background. Make sure it is shady also. Why? Because if you place your subject in the shade and the background is lit by direct sunlight, it'll be very difficult to adjust your camera settings and create a balance. More than likely, you will adjust your settings to the subject and then the background/sky will blow out. Or you adjust your settings to the background/sky and your subject will turn out underexposed. An evenly lit location will fix that issue until you have advanced lighting and camera skills.
  6. Be Observant. A photographer has to notice details other people are not trained to see. Above all, your job is to make your subject look good. Are there shadow patterns on the person's face? Do you see a double-chin? Is the hair all over the place? Is there an ugly distraction in the background? Did the subject's clothes shift and reveal more than they should? If you notice any of these things or something else, move or have your subject move. Maybe without mentioning the double-chin. You can always blame it on "bad lighting".
  7. Be Prepared. There is nothing wrong with a little research. Search google for great poses and interesting angles and take some notes. You can always pull them out during the session and remind yourself of the great ideas you had while researching. My fiance always makes fun of my stick figures, but they help me focus and remember. If you come prepared, you will be less nervous during the session, because you don't have to come up with brilliant poses spontaneously.
  8. Don't Amputate Arms and Legs. At least not directly at the joints. What I mean is that composition is important. When you pose your subject and you want to include arms, make sure you can see both arms, not just one. Same goes for the legs. Standing on one leg may seem cute, but if you can't see the other leg because of the angle or pose it looks like there is no second leg. Ouch! 
  9. Find a great Location. There are about a dozen locations here in town that I call my "safe locations". I've taken pictures there before, know where the best spots are, and what to expect from the lighting. Whenever I schedule a session at these locations, I know I will be able to get great shots. Of course you don't want to get into a boring, monotonous routine that doesn't challenge you. But if you are still a bit shaky when it comes to lighting and camera settings, stick to what has already proven to be great.
  10. Study. A successful photography business requires you to know about lighting and camera settings and posing and marketing, and designing, and.... If you want to be successful, there is no way around learning about these aspects. There are a gazillion tutorials online, the local library is sure to have information. A month without sessions doesn't have to be wasted.
I am sure there are people out there who do not agree with me on certain points. Again, this is advice for beginners, advice I wish someone would have given me before I placed the baby in direct sunlight on a red blanket. Advice that can improve your beginner's photography. Ultimately the goal is to go beyond what I have listed here and if you really want to I am sure you can reach it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment